WASHINGTON, DC – On Thursday, September 30th, ATF released the latest suppressor figures as part of the 2021 Firearms Commerce in the US report. The report highlights the total numbers of firearms manufactured, sold, imported, and exported in the US as well as various NFA statistics and Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) data from the previous year.
According to the report, these were the major takeaways::
- The total number of suppressors registered in the NFRTR is 2,664,775 as of May 2021
- This represents a 30% increase (622,056) since April 2020
- A 35% increase in SOT dealers in 2020 (10,537, up from 7,806 in 2019)
- In the past ten years, the average annual growth was 17%
- A 10% increase in SOT manufacturers in 2020 (6,310, up from 5,716 in 2019)
- In the past ten years, the average annual growth was 14%
This shows a remarkable growth trend in the suppressor industry in 2020. At this rate, total suppressors will likely surpass the 3 million mark by the end of 2021. We are extremely proud of the role ASA has played over the past ten years to advance suppressor acceptance and ownership. The legalization of suppressors by three states and the growth in suppressed hunting opportunities in 18 states has certainly contributed to the rapid growth and popularity of suppressors.
About The American Suppressor Association
The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is the unified voice of the suppressor community. We exist for one reason and one reason only: to fight for pro-suppressor reform nationwide.
The ability of the American Suppressor Association to fight for pro-suppressor reform is tied directly to our ability to fundraise. Since the ASA’s formation in 2011, 3 states have legalized suppressor ownership and 18 states have legalized suppressor hunting. Much of this would not have happened without your support. For more information on how you can join us in the fight to help protect and expand your right to own and use suppressors, visit www.AmericanSuppressorAssociation.com.